If you don't find the answer to your question, you can write us

Frequently asked questions

How do I contact you?

You can book a time with us or call us at 646-596-6874 to have your first free initial phone consultation. You may also email our attorney at Ruben@StepanianLawFirm.com with questions or setting up a time to speak.

Do I need to meet with you in person?

Our office can arrange a time that best suits you if you are someone who prefers to meet in person. We are also available to speak via the phone or meet with video conferencing technology (Zoom, Google Meet, Facetime, WhatsApp etc.) at any point.

Is there a fee for the Legal Consultation?

We do not charge for the initial phone consultation. Our divorce lawyer doesn't believe you should have to pay before you have had an opportunity to hear about our services and what we can offer.

Where can I file for divorce in New York City?

New York City has five county supreme courts: New York, Bronx, Queens, Kings (Brooklyn), and Richmond (Staten Island). You should file in the county where you live.

How much does it cost to file for a divorce in New York City?

There are two main fees: attorney fees and court fees. Your attorney fees will depend on the circumstances of your divorce. If you decide to proceed with your case without a divorce attorney or family law attorney, the court fees for an uncontested divorce total $370.

What is an uncontested divorce?

When you and your spouse agree on the terms of the divorce, then you qualify for an uncontested divorce. This means both parties agree to the divorce, agree on how to divide their assets and agree on child custody and visitation issues.

Do I have to go to Court?

Not if your divorce is uncontested. If your divorce is contested and/or going to trial, then you have to appear in court. How many times you appear in court depends on the circumstances of your case.

My spouse lives in a different state/county. Can I file for divorce in New York?

Yes, provided you meet at least one of New York State's residency requirements.

Can I get my maiden name back after the divorce?

Yes. You can ask the court to use any name that you used before the marriage when you get divorced.