Hiring an effective divorce lawyer is crucial. The results will impact you and your family. So, how do you find a good divorce lawyer?
First, do an online search. For instance, entering “divorce lawyers near me” and browsing through attorney’s profiles. Make sure that the attorney practices in the state in which you will start your case. Another way of finding an attorney is by asking friends or family to refer you to someone.
You shouldn’t hire the first divorce lawyer you contact without speaking with other attorneys. Before you hire anyone, you need to ensure that you can work with them in the long term and that they are knowledgeable.
Here is a list of important divorce questions you should consider asking when looking for an attorney:
- How often should we speak?
- What is the best way to get in contact with you?
- Are you going to be the only one working on my case
- Will you be the one making court appearances on my case?
- Do I primarily communicate with you or your paralegal?
- How many cases do you have currently?
- Do you specialize only in divorce law?
- How many divorce cases have you handled?
- Do you know my spouse’s attorney?
- What do you expect to be the most important issues in my case?
- Have you worked with any of the judges in the court near me?
- What percentage of your cases end up settling?
- How much do you charge per hour?
- What is your retainer fee?
- Can I ask my spouse to pay for my attorney’s fees?
- Will I have to pay my spouse’s attorney fees?
- What can I do to control the cost of the divorce?
- Is it better to settle?
- Should I go to trial?
- I’m not happy with the child support amount, should I modify it?
- Can I stop the divorce if we decide to reconcile?
- Will I receive child support?
- I’m not happy with the spousal support amount, should I modify it?
- Should I move out of the family home?
- How does the court typically rule on issues such as those in my divorce?
- How long will my divorce take to be finalized?
- What is the typical divorce process from start to finish?
- Can I be in contact with my spouse during the divorce?
- Are you going to make decisions on my behalf?
- How does the negotiation process work?
Contact Stepanian Law Firm for Unique, High-Quality Services
We offer the first consultation for free and will provide you with the necessary guidance to find the best option for you. Contact us here or call us at (646) 596-6874 today.